Google+
Google+

Mumbai blasts: Three blasts rock Mumbai, 21 killed, 141 injured

Jul 14, 2011

Terror has struck Mumbai once again killing at least 21 people and injuring more than hundred. Two days after the fifth anniversary of the 7/11 serial bombings, three explosions rocked the Maximum city once again.

Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar said at least 21 people were killed and over 100 injured in the attacks.The Ministry of Home Affairs confirmed a terror plot and said that Improvised Explosive Devices had been used in the blasts. It had said at least 20 people had been killed in the attacks and 113 others injured.

Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had earlier said thirteen people were killed and 81 hurt in the attacks. He said the police officials had reached the spot, adding he was in constant touch with Home Minister P. Chidambaram. He appealed to the Mumbaikars to maintain calm. The home minister leaves on
Wednesday night for Mumbai.

The MHA said the leads pointed to the Indian Mujahideen's hands. Mumbai Police are questioning two IM members, who had been arrested on Tuesday. Internal Secretary, Home Ministry, UK Bansal said the attacks at dense areas were intended to cause maximum damage.

All the blasts occurred at Mumbai's crowded market places in the peak rush hour. The explosions occurred at Zaveri Bazar, Dadar and Opera House between 6:45PM and 7PM.

The first blast took place in south Mumbai's Zaveri Bazaar, near the famous Mumbadevi temple. Four to five cars have been badly damaged. The second bomb went off in a taxi in Dadar's Kabutar Khana area, a stone's throw distance from Dadar railway station. The number of that taxi is MH-43 A 9384. Two people are said to be in the taxi. They have been injured in the blast. Police have also recovered a tiffin box from the area.

The third explosion occurred at the Opera House building next to Pancharatna Diamond Market. The blast took place in the Prasad Chamber of the building. According to JJ Hospital, 10 people have been brought from the Zaveri Bazar blast site. One of them has been confirmed dead, while nine others are seriously injured.

All mobile networks have been jammed in the blast areas. While Chidambaram chaired a high-level meeting in Delhi, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh spoke to Chavan to stock of the situation. Chidambaram said all the injured had been evacuated. "The explosions took place within minutes of each other, hinting at the co-ordinated terror attacks," he said, appealing for calm. He said the Home Ministry will issue statements on very two hours.

Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik, on being asked if it was a terror attack, said, "I believe so."

Union Home Secretary Raj Kumar Singh has spoken to the DGP of Maharashtra. An NIA team has been rushed to Mumbai for probe into the serial blasts.

Bomb investigation unit of the NSG and a forensic team of CFSL are also being sent to Mumbai. High alert has been sounded in 14 cities including Delhi, with Delhi Police spokesperson saying, "We are keeping eye on the situation in Mumbai." The quick reaction team of the Army has been put on standby.

Maharashtra PWD Minister Chhagan Bhujbal advised people to stay indoors.